Monday, November 22, 2010

HELLO BLOG TIME IT'S BEEN A WHILE

Yeah, I know it's been a while. I'm a terrible blogger.

I finished my sock. I have not cast on for the second one. I'm waiting on yarn so I can cast on simultaneously for the first of a really cute pair of mittens and the second sock. I'm not really sure how I like the pattern of the socks, as in the way they fit, but I made the whole first one, and it's pretty and comfortable and I have way too many (i.e. one) half-finished pairs of socks anyway. So that's that. I have to decide what I'll take to KNIT NIGHT ON WEDNESDAY WOOO if my mitten yarn doesn't come tomorrow, which it probably won't. I guess I'll just take my color-changing shawl that I'm STILL working on, or I guess I could cast on for that second sock. Whatever. I'll take the shawl because I don't have to pay too much attention to it, and because the lady who puts together the yarn will be there and she's really nice and so she should get to see that I'm making something great out of her yarn. I just have to be careful to take THIS shawl and NOT that other skein (rhymes with "vein") of yarn that I want to knit something out of. NO. BAD GEORGE. DON'T CAST ON FOR THINGS YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO KNIT.

Right now I am listening to an album that I downloaded for the hell of it because I had heard one song from it and liked it a lot. It is called Elephant Eyelash and it is by a band called Why? who is described as "indie rock and alternative hip-hop," which I find to be an interesting description because I keep on having no idea who in their right mind would describe this as hip-hop. It's really gentle music, exactly the sort of thing that attracts me. I had forgotten I had it until I was putting Randall's Love List in iTunes and it was the up-until-now most-recently-added album, so that's that. I like having a big iTunes library because that means there is a lot to choose from, but it also means that I have to try to keep up with which things I have and which things I like. It is a problem for me sometimes.

Anyway... I am going to fuck up George Liscinsky and Sean Moss, both of whom have gotten it into their heads to poke me on Facebook. (Actually, it occurs to me that maybe it's not good to link to the Facebook of people on the General Internet? I hope Sean does not get raped because of my link. But AS OF RIGHT NOW, nobody who is a rapist AS OF RIGHT NOW reads my blog, so he should be fine. He might come here to George Mason! Wouldn't that be exciting.) Those dicks.

The last test I talked about on here was my Physics test. That happened last Friday, and it went okay. I'm glad I studied the way I did, because it was a lot more helpful for me than previous methods of studying for that class have been. Basically, instead of frantically doing problems until I burst into tears because I JUST CAN'T DO IT, I found where he had posted the formula sheet for this test, and I studied that. Not like I tried to memorize all the formulas that he was going to GIVE US, that's stupid. But I tried to memorize which formulas went with what. After all, if my main problem is that when I look at a problem, I frequently have just no idea what sort of equation I'm supposed to be looking for. So if he gives us all the formulas we're going to need on the test, then all I need to do is be able to remember a little bit of theory and then find the equation for what I'm trying to do. Like, this equation is for the magnetic field inside a solenoid (which is basically a cylinder made of spirals of wire that current goes through), so when I get to the problem with the solenoid with N turns and length L and current I and blah blah, I know what equation I need to get the data to look like. I can use Ohm's law and I can blah blah you guys don't care about Physics. And, honestly? Neither do I. This kind of Physics sucks. It's all electricity and circuits and crap. It's not fun at all. We're all done with DC current and now we're on AC current, which means we have to go back to all the wave stuff that I didn't learn at the beginning of the semester. I got a 98% on that test, though, so I guess I did something right.

Anyway, now I have to wait until next fucking week to get my stupid test back, even though I wanted it really really hard today. I want to know how I did. I'm guessing a B, maybe an 80% of the material? Then he might curve it, although I'm not sure it'll be as absurd as test 2, which was so fucking hard he had to curve it 10 points. I got a 61%, which became a 71%, and then he uses a super-lenient grading scale, so my 61% of the material was a (low) B (but a B nonetheless). So, yeah. I'm hoping for around 80% of the material, and for that to be a medium-high B.

Man, this album is cheerful and depressing and gentle. I like it a lot. There's a song that's basically like, "if I ever get the balls to kill myself, I don't want anyone to come to my funeral." So that's mildly upsetting. But there's a lot of the word "elephant" throughout the album, I WONDER WHY. (For those who hate scrolling and rereading, the CD is called Elephant Eyelash.)

Oh, right, I was going to talk about the test I took today. Today's test was depressing not because I think I did poorly, but because I know I did well. I honestly think this was the last easy, fun test I will ever take. But oh MAN was it fun! I always talk about how this class is stupid review that's a fucking waste of my time, and it is, but it's worth it for tests like this. Of which there have been, and only will be, two. So now it's back to wasting my time.

But, yeah, the test was really fun. I don't know if any of you guys have ever thought of tests as "fun," but what I mean by that is that it was all full of basic math--remembering that Force Equals Mass Times Acceleration, and Momentum Equals Mass Times Velocity, and Work Equals Force Dot (or, for people like EVERYONE IN MY CLASS who don't know anything about vectors, Times) Distance. And I think that was all? We also had to know things like There Are 100 Centimeters In A Meter, but we did NOT need to know There are 2.54 Centimeters In An Inch, which was given. And so I got to use scratch paper and do everything out properly. Oh, it was so fun. I love that pencil-on-paper math feeling, I love writing things down even though I'm just going to plug them into Mr Graphs anyway and I don't really need to... I love 0.7mm mechanical pencils; 0.5mm just doesn't cut it--breaks too easily.

So, yeah. That's that. I think I'm done blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment