Thursday, January 6, 2011

YOU GUYS GET THE SAME POST I JUST GAVE MY ~*~SECRET BLOG~*~

I friggin hate buying textbooks. SO EXPENSE. If I bought them all from the bookstore this semester, I would be handing over $634. And that's not going to happen.
Fortunately, my friend Amanda took Diff-EQs this semester and told me that she had torrented a PDF of the textbook and had no problems, and it was an easy, fast download that even included the Student Solutions Manual, so that chops off $211, thank goodness.
Then, wonder of wonders, the international edition of my $154 Linear Algebra textbook was available for $35, saving me $119.
I got the Discrete Math book (asking price $132) for $60 (and kept $72), and I'm looking to save about $60 on the book for Intro to Teaching (bookstore wants $136, alibris.com wants $76+undisclosed shipping).
So, basically, I'm hoping to save, let's see, $(211+119+72+60) = $462. Meaning that instead of blithely paying the bookstore $634 for books that, knowing me, will likely go predominantly unused, I'm paying various online booksellers $(0+35+60+80) = $175. (Or so, depending on that shipping--I haven't bought the book yet because I'd like to hold out for less than half the bookstore price.)

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with myself. Now I get to look for much cheaper versions of Hunter's textbooks! Unless he already bought them, in which case I will say "tsk tsk" to him. They just... They want you to give them so much money. It's not right. Moral of the story: always Google the ISBN you're looking for, check abebooks.com and half.com and Amazon, and get the friggin' international edition if it's available. I know it looks like a scam, but it's actually not. Usually, anyway.

Other than that, home is okay. It's 2011 now, so that's kind of neat, only not actually that neat, you know? We still have our Christmas tree, some of my friends have left, and tonight I get to have a super awkward dinner conversation with my parents because my sister is off at an Academic Team meet. Great.

Oh, crap, I still have to buy ballet things. My mother might pay for those, though, because she's so nice. I need a leotard, tights, and shoes. Urgh. I'm going to feel downright chunky when I put those on, woo. And people will know all about my oddly-shaped hips. I know I'm not fat, I just have weird bulges in odd places. I don't know why my body stores fat so differently from everyone else's body. Not fair.



Also, today I learned that the class I thought I had on Mondays from 4:30 to 7:10 is actually on Tuesdays! Yaaay! Yay because I love to inconvenience people and make them wait for me for dinner.


ETA: blog post, y u no look like other blog posts?
Oh, right, because I had not yet DEFEATED YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment